Detox :: Spring is the ideal time for cleansing and rejuvenation. Here are ways to promote detoxification and holistic health.
1. Eat more foods that support liver functioning. Lots of greens! Vegetables that are bitter are especially helpful, such as arugula, dandelion, milk thistle, burdock, asparagus, artichoke, parsley. If you're feeling sluggish, eat foods that taste pungent to decrease qi stagnation, such as watercress, chives, scallions, mustard greens, turmeric, basil, and mint. To support digestion, mix 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar or a squeeze of lemon in a cup of warm water, this will help flush toxins and stimulate bowel movements.
2. Cleanse your diet by eliminating inflammatory foods like alcohol, coffee, sugar, processed foods, and heavy foods. Eat organic foods when you can, particularly the fruits and vegetables on the dirty dozen list. Reduce harmful environmental toxins that you are breathing and absorbing into your body. Chemicals such as parabens, phthalates, BPA, and other toxins that are found in household cleaning supplies, personal care products, cosmetics, and plastics can disrupt the endocrine system and interfere with metabolism. Look for products that are nontoxic and fragrance-free.
3. Sweat it out by detoxing through perspiration. Enjoy a sauna, steam room, hot bath, or sweaty workout.
4. Be mindful of the messages you are taking in. Pay attention to what you watch, read, and listen to. Consider if what you are consuming through media, news, and entertainment is wholesome and conducive to your wellbeing. Filter the messages you are putting out. Refrain from complaining, gossip, and negative self-talk.
5. Limit time around people and places that are toxic. Assess your connections, interactions, and the places you frequent. Notice what is stressful, filled with drama, drains your energy, or brings you down. Choose to be around what is healthy, positive, rejuvenating, and vibrant.
The Liver and Gallbladder meridians are more prone to imbalances during the spring season. Coming in for acupuncture treatment can help optimize the functioning of your organ systems!